Using a realtor to sell your home can be costly. You can sell your home for the same price without the use of a realtor but, this will only happen, if you are committed and willing to work persistently and carefully. Your investigation, commitment and off-the-rack marketing tools can overcome your lack of experience. Use the 7 simple strategies listed below, sell your home on your own and keep more of your money:
Real estate laws change from state to state so you have to learn the rules that apply to your area. There are also real estate transaction practices that may vary depending on your specific location within the state. It's also better for peace of ind to use an attorney during a real estate transaction.
• Become educated on your state’s real estate laws and local customs.
Do the research to find the best time to list your home for sale. Eg. If you live in a family oriented, good school district area, it may be more challenging to find a buyer in the middle of the school year.
• Consider the climate. It will always be more difficult to sell a home when snow covers the ground and the temperature is freezing.
• If the city is building nearby your property value is worth more to an investor than a family.
Do a deep clean of your home and get rid of all the clutter. If necessary, put some of your items in storage temporarily while doing your open houses. Be sure to organize your closets because buyers will look in there too.
Remove family pictures and religious decor. If needed, replace your wall decor with neutral prints like landscapes or flowers. Paint your walls in neutral colors.
Most states require the recording of home sales prices and this information is readily found on the internet. Try to find the sale prices of similar homes in your neighborhood. This is usually a good basis to use to determine an accurate listing price.
• For a few hundred dollars, a local appraiser can provide an accurate number.
• A local real estate agent can also give your home's value but some agents may inflate the number in hopes of getting your business.
This is a crucial step towards selling your home quickly. There are many ways to advertise that your home is for sale. Consider using them all!
• Use the internet... Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Craigslist and Pinterest accounts.
• List your home on the various websites for home sales for a small fee. This ensures that potential buyers can find your home.
• Tell your friends, family, and neighbors. They may know someone who is looking for a new home.
• Put a “For Sale” sign in your yard.
Negotiating can be the best money you ever make. Be confident in the price of your home but be ready to negotiate. These skills can be learned. Educate yourself before putting your house up for sale.
Do the necessary work and receive more money at closing by avoiding the use of a realtor.
It will require time and effort so be prepared to put in the work.